Friday, March 11, 2011

Truly a Lady

As a child you know that someday your grandparents will eventually pass away. When I was little I remember being heartbroken when my Great Grandfathers passed away. I figured as I got older I would cope better with these situations - however on Feb. 27th when I got the call that my Grandma Cimino had passed away I sat on the couch and sobbed completely broken-hearted. I do however, find comfort in knowing that some day I will see my Grandmother again and have the opportunity to once again draw on her knowledge and wisdom. I wanted to share some of my thoughts on the kind of woman my Grandmother was. I want those of you that don't know the Cimino's to get a feel for the kind of influence this wonderful woman has had in my life.
At the memorial service for my Grandma my Aunt Margaret said a few words describing her mother. They were simple but described my Grandma to a prefect T. My Aunt Margaret described my Grandmother as a Lady - she said there was never anyone that was more of a lady than my Grandmother. I wasn't surprised at all to then hear my mother use the exact same word to describe my Grandma when she was speaking at the services. Interestingly enough - my mom had no idea what my Aunt Margaret was going to speak about and viceversa. As I was sitting in the services I kept thinking - the Queen of England can't even hold a candle to my Grandma when it comes to being a Lady. She was the most immaculate and proper woman I have ever met - yes she was truly a lady.
My Grandmother found joy in serving others and often volunteered in her community. She and my Grandfather moved to Pinehurst, North Carolina around the time I was born. They loved golfing and had a beautiful home on the golf course. Later they moved to a retirement community in Southern Pines, NC. She loved to read (guess we know where I get that from) and she enjoyed traveling with my Grandfather.
When I was little my mom got some old pictures from her parents and framed them and put them on the wall in our house. I remember looking at them and saying to my mom that I thought my Grandma looked like a movie star. She was so incredibly beautiful - even as she grew older she was a picture of beauty and easily could have been on television because of her beauty.
So many memories and things I would love to include that describe my Grandma. I am going to conclude with one of my most fond memories of my Grandmother. Shortly after Violet was born she had to be put back into the ICU because she had really bad jaundice. I was a complete wreck and cried the entire time she was in the hospital. On the second day she was there I was leaving during the shift change (they make you leave while they bring the new nurses up to speed) and as I was leaving I received a phone call from my Grandma. She called me to see if I was ok and check on the baby. I was so upset I just cried and cried - she comforted me and cried right along with me. I really appreciated her being there when I so desperately needed her that day. I am so sad she didn't get a chance to ever meet Violet or Juliet but I know she watches down on us from heaven and I hope some day she will be proud of the Lady I will hopefully become - she has definitely set the bar high for generations to come. We will miss you Grandma Cimino.

5 comments:

Sunnie said...

my grandmother passed away the day after yours. i am so sorry and completely can empathize with what you are going through.

TP said...

I'm sorry to hear about your grandma! Hold on to those great memories! Hope everything else is going well for you guys!

The Peterson's said...

/i am sad for your loss. She sounds like a great person!

Janalyn and Jacob Owens said...

This is beautifully expressed. Juliet was a light in the middle of some of the sadness. I'm so glad that we got to be together.

elonna said...

She was a true lady! I loved your comments and it was so good to see you again. Can't wait till this summer!